Level 2 Certificate in Gym Instructing
The aim of the Level 2 Certificate in Gym Instructing is to train learners to a professionally competent level, enabling them to prescribe, plan and deliver safe and effective exercise programmes within a gym or health club environment.
If you are aged 16 years and over wishing to pursue a career in the health and fitness sector as a gym-based fitness instructor, then this is the course for you. Please note that 16 to 18 year-olds may need to be supervised in the workplace, once they have achieved the qualification
- Some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended.
- The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
- There is also an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 2.
The qualification comprises of 5 mandatory units:
|Unit 1||Principles of anatomy, physiology and fitness|
|Unit 2||Professionalism and customer care for fitness instructors|
|Unit 3||Health and safety in the fitness environment|
|Unit 4||Conducting client consultations to support positive behaviour change|
|Unit 5||Planning and instructing gym-based exercise|
Successful achievement of all five units must be accomplished for the full qualification
For the full qualification guidance syllabus please click here.
How long is the course and where does it take place?
The course will be delivered over 2 consecutive weeks, Mon–Fri, 9.30 am – 4.00 pm. You will be required to attend the course at our SW Training office: 4 Beacon Court, Great Barr, Birmingham, B43 6NN. We are located on the Scott Arms junction.
The course will comprise of classroom and gym-based training (we have a fully functional gym at our office) and home-based work which will need to be completed prior to the start of the course and during the course.
What jobs can I do with this qualification?
The Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructor (Gym) allows you to work in a gym, fitness facility, health club and small group exercise classes.
What are the progression opportunities?
- It provides progression to Level 3 qualifications in Personal Training for learners who wish to further their knowledge and skills and become personal trainers working with specialist populations as well as the general population.
- Learners may also progress on to the Active IQ Level 3 Certificate in Sports Massage, where they will be provided with the knowledge and skills to practice sports massage alongside gym instructing in the health club environment.
- Learners may also broaden their knowledge and skills by progressing to Level 2 qualifications in Instructing Circuits, Exercise to Music and Aqua.
The course is £599 with a range of finance packages available.
If you have any questions relating to the course or funding options, then please contact our office on Tel: 0121 7131661 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org